The Special Services Room, located on the
third floor of the Main Library, has reopened, and features a variety of services, equipment, and programs.
Special Services is open currently from 10:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
**As of September 8, 2015, Special Services will be open Tuesdays – Fridays from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. and only by appointment.**
For more information, please call 973-733-5412.
Special Services has partnered with the New Jersey State Library Braille and Talking Book Center to provide specialized equipment and media in Braille and
- Books for the blind and visually impaired, large-print books, items in Braille
- Books of interest to seniors, on such topics as retirement, Medicare, and more
- Books on deafness, American Sign Language
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) materials
Classes and Training
- Access technology for the blind and visually impaired
- ASL Classes
- Deaf Awareness Club of Newark, NJ, and Beyond the Eyes
- Reading Edge
- Assistive Listening Devices
- TTY and Video Phone
- Computers with Jaws and Magic viewer
- Reading Edge machine that reads printout to blind patrons
- Computer with Sprint IP free Relay and Aim service for the deaf
- SVRS-Sorenson Video display relay service-telephone hook-up for the deaf