The 2013 Summer Reading Challenge for Teens
June 24 August 3, 2013
(Open to teens entering grade 8 and up)
Funded by The Prudential Foundation
Rules for the Teen Challenge
Learn everything you need to know to participate.
Rewards for your reading achievements.
for the Teen Challenge
- The Summer Reading Challenge will run from June 24 to August 3, 2013.
- The Teen Summer Reading Program is open to teens entering grade 8 and above.
- Teens need to check out the books they read and report on according to their grade and/or reading level. School summer reading list books may be reported on.
- Teens should then report on their books.
Teens may give an oral or written report to the librarian. Each teen may report on a maximum of six (6) books (any combination of hard cover and/or paperback) per day. If teens choose to give an oral report to the librarian, a maximum of three oral reports may be given per day. The number of oral reports may vary based on the availability of staff and time. If written, the report may be in the form of a picture, drawing, poem, an art and craft, an artifact, or a standard written report or book review.
- Oral reports will be made to the library staff at all branches and in the Children’s Room at the Main Library. Only titles reported on and accepted by the librarian or designated staff will be entered in the reading log.
- Every teen who reads and reports on at least five (5) books will receive a Summer Reading Challenge
certificate. They should report only on books read after June 24, 2013.
- There will be a scale of reading levels and incentives.
- A maximum of sixty (60) books per teen will be accepted.
- When a teen reads and reports on an award-winning book, it will count as two (2) titles in the reading log. Books that follow this year's theme, Beneath the Surface, will also count as two titles.
more information call 973-733-5642.
Newark Public Library
5 Washington Street
P.O. Box 630 Newark, NJ 07101-0630