Library to hold
Club Success “open houses” at branches
The Newark Public Library will hold open houses at all of its branches to inform parents and children of its Club Success after-school, homework-assistance program. Visitors at any location will have the opportunity to meet with the Club Success teacher and the branch staff, as well as see the latest technology available to children courtesy of a grant from the Lucent Technologies Foundation. The open houses will be held from 5pm to 7pm at specified branches on these dates:
· Wednesday, March 28, at the Branch Brook, Clinton, Springfield and Weequahic branch libraries.
· Wednesday, April 4, at the North End, Roseville and Van Buren branch libraries.
· Wednesday, April 11, at the First Avenue and Madison branch libraries.
The $101,230 Lucent grant has enabled The Newark Public Library to enhance and expand the benefits of Club Success by directing the funds to the “Club Success Initiatives”: a series of computer-based educational “first-steps” for Newark’s students and their parents, teachers and caregivers. In addition to computer workstations at all Club Success locations, the grant provided funds for online “science and math” resources, and the enhancement of Newark teachers’ library research and Internet-searching skills.
“The Club Success Initiatives bring a new dimension to our successful after-school program,” said library director Dr. Alex Boyd. “A program,” Dr. Boyd added, “ established with the support of the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation and the Newark Public Schools.”
For more information about the open houses, or the Club Success program, patrons may contact the children’s room at any branch location:
· Branch Brook, 235 Clifton Ave., 733-6388
· Clinton, 739 Bergen St., 733-7754
· First Avenue, 282 First Ave., 733-8091
· Madison, 791 Clinton Ave., 733-8090
· Main Library, 5 Washington St., 733-7797
· North End, 722 Summer Ave., 733-7766
· Roseville, 99 Fifth St., 733-7770
· Springfield, 50 Hayes St., 733-7736
· Vailsburg, 926 So. Orange Ave. (temporary site), 733-7749
· Van Buren, 140 Van Buren St., 733-3897
· Weequahic, 355 Osborne Terr., 733-7751
©2001 The Newark Public Library