|Volume 11 Number 2, Summer 2000|
|In This Issue:||
The New Jersey Information Center
The New Jersey Information Center, located on the third floor of the Main Library, houses a research-level collection of materials relating to New Jersey (particularly to Newark and Essex County). Staffing the Center are Valerie Austin, Robert Blackwell, Syvella Copeland, Karen Gilbert, James Osbourn, Willis Taylor and Ralph Tohlinall under the leadership of Assistant Director Charles F. Cummings.
The resources available provide both historical and current information. They include books, archives, newspapers, pictures, documents and 2500 maps.
The Book Collection embodies a variety of popular and scholarly items. Especially strong areas include:
Archives, Manuscripts and Mementos are among the Divisions most unusual and interesting areas of New Jersey ephemera. They include traditional paperssuch as those of the Newark Eagles, former-director John Cotton Dana, The Newark Public Libraryand several hundred scrapbooks of agencies and individuals.
The Newspaper Collection covers New Jersey from 1791 to the present. It is represented notably by The Newark Evening News morgue file, The New Jersey Periodical Notes, and the Centers own Information Files of more than 4,000 folders filled with clippings.
The Picture Collection consists of:
The Document Collection is composed of New Jersey, Newark, and Essex County items, as well as census reports. Since 1968, when The Newark Public Library became a state document depository, the Center has received all available state publications. Heavily used by genealogists and family historians are the United States Census reports from 1830 to 1920 and the New Jersey State Census reports from 1855 until 1915.
For more information about the services and collections of the New Jersey Information Centeror to ask a question about anything related to New Jerseypatrons may visit the Center or call (973) 733-7775.
The Second Century
The Newark Public Library
5 Washington Street
P.O. Box 630
Newark, New Jersey 07101-0630
Copyright ©2000 The Newark Public Library