receives Lucent Technologies grant
The Directors Journal
Patron Survey Results
Treasures of the Library
Gourmet Gala honors James
Programs foster learning and
The New Jersey Information Center
Summer Reading Challenge "connects"
Animal prints exhibition now
New Electronic Resource
Friends grants top $10,000
Book Sale a success
Patron Survey Results
At the end of 1999, the Library
conducted a Library 2000 patron satisfaction
survey. More than 1,500 patrons responded. They
identified the library services most important to them
and suggested ways in which the Library can better serve
them. Following is a synopsis of their responses. The
complete results, as well as the resultant Library
Service Plan for 2000-2002, may be found on the
Librarys home page: www.npl.org.
Future updates also will appear on the website.
Reasons for using the
- 54% were students; 58% of them responded that the
Library is very important/important for
studying or finding information for assignments.
- 54% rated coming to the Library to attend
childrens programs and/or to borrow
childrens books as very important/important.
- 58% rated as very important/important
their use of the Librarys research
- For patrons who pursue their personal interests
at the Library, 76% rated it very important/important.
- 63% visited the Library to use the computers (a very
Do we meet your expectations?
- 64% responded always when asked if they
received the information they needed.
- 72% said the staff always answers
courteously and promptly.
- 74% said the building is always clean,
convenient, accessible and attractive.
- 36% always easily find a computer to use.
How can we serve you better?
- 708 checked off more computers.
- 536 requested a café
- 486 wanted more computer training
- 428 requested a place to buy supplies.
Please tell us about yourself.
- 78% live in Newark.
- 42% work in Newark.
- 50% go to school in Newark.
- 13% were between the ages of 6 and 11; 25%
between 12 and 17; 14% between 18-24; 40% between
25-64; 2% were 65-plus; 6% did not respond.
And 72% stated they had a
The Library administration and staff
thank all of those who took the time and interest to fill
out the survey and help mold the new service plan.