About the Main Library
Facing Washington Park, the historic Newark Public Library traces its beginnings to the Newark Library Association, which was formed in 1847. Forty years later, the people of Newark approved the founding of a Free Public Library. Learn More about the Main Library’s Architectural History.
To donate to Main Library initiatives, please utilize the donation form below.
The cornerstone of the Newark Public Library, although dated 1898 (the year excavation began), was laid at 5 Washington Street on January 26, 1899
Collections and Services
Stacks (entrance to Stack 6)
Technology Training Center (computer classes)
Victoria Technology Center (public computers)
The Stacks are six floors of adult nonfiction, located at the back end of the Main Library. See a graphic diagram of the Stacks.
|000 – 327.73Un34||Stack 1
(equivalent to First Floor)
|327.73Un35 – 530.1||Stack 2|
|530.1 – 736R||Stack 3
(equivalent to Second Floor)
|736S – 813St3||Stack 4|
|813St3 – 940.531||Stack 5|
|940.531 – 999||Stack 6
(equivalent to Third Floor)
The adult fiction (except new fiction) and the paperbacks are located on the Second Floor, opposite the Reference Desk. Please ask at the Reference Desk if you need assistance in locating these collections.